Thursday, April 20, 2006

Lucero @ Northsix, Brooklyn, NY

I finally got to see Lucero tonight. Since I discovered them last spring -- late, I know -- I haven't stopped listening to them. I first heard them do a live set on WOXY.com, and immediately went out and picked up their most recent album, Nobody's Darlings. It wasn't long until I filled out the rest of their collection, and, amazingly, each album I bought was better than the last.

So after a year of listening to the albums, I was pretty psyched to finally see them live. I gotta say, though... I'm a little disappointed. I'm not sure why. Maybe it was the sound at Northsix, which was pretty poor. Maybe it was the crowd, which, at least where I was standing, was pretty drunk and obnoxious. Maybe it's that I wasn't drunk too. Maybe it's that the band never really seemed into it, and that the bassist was actually in a pretty pissy mood during the show. Likely, it was all of these things.

Regardless, I'm still happy I went. The band has some excellent songs, and it was good to finally hear them live. And while the crowd was pretty rowdy, it was good to see just how rabid a fanbase they have. The crowd knew the lyrics to pretty much every song. Oh, and the new songs they played were great. So here's hoping that this was just an off-night, and the next time I see them kicks ass.

Some pictures:





2 Comments:

At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gotta say Rogo, Lucero were easily the dullest band I saw at SXSW this year. Every song was so goddamn...what I am trying to say..."trucker's cap"? Does that make sense? The only memorable tune was the Jawbreaker cover.
Loving the blog, BTW.

 
At 12:55 PM, Blogger Steve said...

Really? That's too bad. If you haven't checked out their records at all, you should. Especially if you like the alt-country at all. The way I've always described Lucero is an emo alt-country. As I write that, I realize that it probably sounds AWFUL. But what I mean it that it's a very earnest, country-flavored rock with a whole lot of sing-along emotive choruses.

If that still doesn't sound appealing, then I just gonna have to post some more songs by them, because I stand behind my belief that That Much Further West is essentially a sequel to Stranger's Almanac; that Tennessee has some of the best songs I've heard in the last 5 years; and that Nobody's Darlings kicks everyone's ass but Axl's.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home