Monday, April 24, 2006

I Hope Someone Puts a Cap in Artie Bucco's Ass

It only took 10 years, but I think I've officially become a full-fledged jaded New Yorker. Why? Because I literally could not stop laughing last night when Christopher punched Lauren Bacall in the face on The Sopranos. I guess if you live in New York long enough, the idea of beating up little old ladies stops being disgusting and becomes a source of amusement. God bless this place.

And in other news:

Each Note Secure links to a new Colin Meloy song called "Lazy Little Ada". The song is off the new Kill Rock Stars compilation, Sound the Hare Heard, which also includes cuts from Devin Davis, Jeff Hanson, and Great Lake Swimmers.

Captain's Dead has a great live show from Cincinnati's own Afghan Whigs from Boston in 1994. Go check it out. The (Afghan) Whigs remain one of my favorite bands of all time. And while I luckily got to see them live three times, this is the first show of theirs that I have in my collection.

I had no idea, but there's a smorgasbord of cool live Posies songs, demos and videos to be found over at their web site. There's even a video for the song "Anything and Everything" from Every Kind of Light . I had no idea this existed. Very cool. (Thanks to Large Hearted Boy for the head's up!)

Ryspace is my kind of music dork. He's apparently doing a term paper comparing the acoustics of New York's Mercury Lounge, Bowery Ballroom and Webster Hall. While Part One is a basic introduction, Part Two (and beyond?) promises to learn my ass as to the scientific explanation for why Webster Hall blows. I can only assume that, somewhere in his calculations, he's assigned a value for the fact that a bottle of Bud Lite costs $7.

I Rock Cleveland points the direction to a World Cafe set that the Flaming Lips did for NPR in which, among other things, Wayne explains the origins of the band's cover of "Bohemian Rhapsody."

And I'll leave you with a couple interesting things floating around the web:

Okay Paddy, "Where's the Taste" (via Two and 1/2 Pounds of Bacon). Decent power pop. Very Smithereens-ish, if anyone remembers them.

Think About Life, "Paul Cries" (via You Ain't No Picasso). Another Canadian band that sounds like Wolf Parade. Just what the world needs.

Director, a new (?) Dublin-based band with a few interesting songs. Worth listening to, though I don't plan on buying anything from them based on what I'm hearing (via Torr).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home