Friday, April 21, 2006

The Greatest Live Performer. Ever.

I've spent a lot of time on this blog extolling the virtues of a number of musicians, from the Frames to Wilco to The Whigs to Lucero to Guns n' Roses and beyond. But the one artist that I haven't given his due -- yet -- is Robert Pollard. The majority of you probably know who Bob is, but just in case you don't, Bob is the former leader of the legendary Guided by Voices, from Dayton, Ohio USA.

You may have heard someone (likely me) remark that GBV was the greatest rock and roll band of all time. Well, I was right (I usually am). But what you may not realize was that the magic that was GBV is, almost entirely, contained in the body and mind of Robert Pollard. Maybe we should have known that by the number of bassists and drummers that came and went in GBV. Maybe we should have known it by the number of solo or side project albums that Bob had while GBV was still around. But, speaking for myself, I simply didn't realize how great Bob could be with a completely different group of musicians.

Well, I learned a lesson tonight that I'll never forget. GBV played its final show (maybe?) on New Year's Eve of 2004-2005. My friend Matt and I were there. And while I knew I'd see Bob perform again, I didn't realize that I'd have another experience like a GBV show. Thankfully, tonight I did.

It may not have been GBV, but it was a set of incredible music written by Bob, played by an amazing group of musicians. And it was a crapload of fans jumping around, bumping into one another, having an amazing time singing along with the hits. And thank god for that. And, yes, folks, that's Kevin March on drums. All I can say now is this -- GBV! GBV! GBV! GBV! GBV!








0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home