Sunday, March 12, 2006

Missing the 90's

It was only a matter of time, but I've finally reached the point where I feel old at most concerts I go to. What strikes me most about this phenomenon isn't that I'm closer to death than most of these kids, but instead I'm struck by just how much great music these kids have missed out on.

Think about it. A kid who's getting into music will start with the new bands who are hot, the CYHSY's or the Tapes n' Tapes of the world. And when they decide to branch out a bit historically, they can easily jump onto iTunes and go buy all the old Pavement, Husker Du, Wire or Guided by Voices CDs. But what about all the lesser known bands who, while they never made it huge, put out some incredible music? Too many of those bands get relegated to the history books (and the music collections of a few folks like me who keep the rock alive).

So I'm going to start a new series here called Missing the 90's. It will focus on the first full decade that I really got into music, and will bring you some of the great songs of the 90's that you either may not have heard the first time around or might have forgotten about. Each and every one of these songs should have been a hit, and, if they'd come out today, still could be. Enjoy.

The Afghan Whigs - "Rebirth of the Cool"
The Catherine Wheel - "Show Me Mary"
Dada - "S.F. Bar '63"
Eugenius - "Bed In"
Pond - "Magnifier"
Sense Field - "Outlive the Man"

If you like any of these, do yourself a favor and pick up a CD or two.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home