Friday, March 31, 2006

And Now Introducing...

A couple of fresh discoveries for you this morning. Maybe they're not discoveries to you, but they are to me, and, frankly, that's all that matters. :^)

The Whigs

Holy crap is this band good. I've been seeing their name popping around the web (and Rolling Stone's "bands to watch" list) for a few weeks, and being the diehard Afghan Whigs fan that I am, I wrote them off as unbelievable assholes for taking the name.

Then, yesterday I saw that they're playing with Jon Auer (of the legendary Posies) at the Mercury Lounge in May, and figured I should find out what they sound like. And holy schnikes am I glad I did. Head over to their website immediately and check out their "Hear Things" jukebox (bottom right of the page). I am currently falling head over heels in love with their song "Technology." Seriously. Unbelievable song. They also have a couple more songs at their myspace site.

Edited to add: They're at Pianos next Wednesday night. Tickets are $8. I just bought me one.

The Idaho Falls

Matt pointed me in the direction of The Idaho Falls this morning. He described them as "Great So Cal alt country with a big old dash of Byrds jangle thrown in." I don't think he could have described them any better. Good stuff. And apparently they now share members with both The Tyde and Mojave 3. Not shabby. Check 'em out:

"California Day"
"Jasmine"
"Country Song"

You can also hear what one of the band members' mom has to say about their last album. She was very favorably impressed.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home